Checklists and miscellaneous

Forms, documents and other papers

If you want to become self-employed in Germany, you need numerous documents which you have to submit to various authorities. This can be the German embassy or the German consulate in your country of origin, the immigration authorities in the region where you live in Germany or want to live after your arrival, the tax office or the trade office where you have to register your self-employment. The German mission can also request additional documents. You can find out more about this on the website of the German embassy in your country. Enquire in good time so that you have all the necessary documents for your meeting.

We have carefully and conscientiously prepared a checklist of the necessary forms, documents and other papers that you need for the respective applications (e.g. visa, residence permit after entry, self-employment of students, etc.). However, due to possible changes in requirements, we do not guarantee the completeness and correctness of the information.

Application for a visa for self-employment in Germany at the German embassy or a consulate in the country of origin

Application for a residence permit that allows self-employment after entering Germany

Registering your self-employment

If the immigration authorities have approved your application for self-employment or your residence permit allows self-employment, then you must register your self-employment with the trade office if you want to work in a commercial capacity or with the tax office if you want to work as a freelancer.


Freelance profession